Mozzarella Stick Recipes to make in your Air Fryer
There is something that is just so comforting about a gooey and cheesy mozzarella stick. Who wouldn’t love sticks of cheese that are crunchy on the outside and melty on the inside?
Mozzarella sticks are a classic childhood favorite that can also be savored well into adulthood. They make the perfect appetizer.
And do you know what a lot of adults have in their kitchens these days? Air fryers! These little powerhouse appliances can bake up a batch of mozzarella sticks in no time. You can bake them for a small party of friends to munch on or keep them all to yourself!
Whether they are homemade, frozen, or even keto, there is definitely a mozzarella stick recipe out there that is meant for your taste and preference. Here are some ideas!
Homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Yes, it is absolutely possible to make homemade mozzarella sticks and it is not as difficult as you may think. They can be made with just a few common kitchen ingredients.
They taste even more amazing when cooked in an air fryer. The exterior is cooked to a beautiful golden-brown crisp while the cheese remains soft and melted on the inside.
When you cook mozzarella sticks, or any breaded item, in an air fryer, they are cooked by hot air blowing all around it. If you are trying to cut back on calories, cooking with an air fryer might be the best method because you don’t have to worry about excess grease from a deep fryer!
However, there is a trick to making them yourself. It is crucial to freeze the mozzarella sticks for about a half-hour after coating them in the beaten egg and breadcrumbs.
After that, coat and freeze them a second time before air frying them! If you don’t freeze them, the cheese will melt very quickly and make a huge mess in your air fryer. Double-coating them also adds layers for an even more satisfying crunch.
You can even make a large batch of them and keep them in the freezer for up to three months so you’ll always have some on hand when you’re craving mozzarella sticks. Here is the full recipe to try:
Mozzarella Sticks in Air Fryer Recipe
• 1 large egg
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
• 8 whole milk mozzarella sticks (you could use low-fat if you prefer, also)
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Lightly beat the egg in a bowl and combine the Italian seasoning, salt, and breadcrumbs in another bowl.
- Dip each mozzarella stick into the beaten egg completely and then coat it completely in the breadcrumbs and seasoning mixture.
- Place each of the coated sticks on the lined baking sheet. Allow a bit of distance between them. Freeze them for at least 30 minutes, but no more than 60 minutes.
- Remove them from the freezer and repeat the coating process with the egg and breadcrumbs. Freeze them again for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Spray the air fryer basket with a nonstick cooking spray and air fry them at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Tips and Tricks:
- It is best to use whole milk mozzarella sticks because they usually yield the best texture. Low-fat cheese might have too rubbery of a texture for some preferences.
- Make sure the mozzarella sticks have enough space between each of them when you’re air frying them. Work in small batches if you need to!
- If you’d like to make a big batch of these mozzarella sticks, you can store them in the freezer for up to three months! Just be sure to air fry them at 360 degrees (instead of 390) for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve them with your favorite marinara or dipping sauce!
- Air fryer
- 2 wide and shallow bowls (for the beaten egg and breadcrumb mixture)
- Wax paper
- Baking sheet
Frozen Store-bought Mozzarella Sticks
If you don’t have the patience to make your own (no judgment!), you can find premade mozzarella sticks in the frozen section at almost any grocery store. There is typically a wide range of brands to choose from, too.
There are always cooking instructions on the outside of the package, but just remember that some air fryers have more power than others, so it’s best to keep an eye on the mozzarella sticks. If you don’t prefer them as golden-brown and crispy, remove them from the air fryer sooner!
Frozen mozzarella sticks are great to have in your freezer when you need to make something quick and delicious.
Keto Mozzarella Sticks
Surprise! Did you know that there is such a thing as keto mozzarella sticks? In fact, cheese and eggs are already keto-friendly foods, so the only ingredient that needs to be changed is the type of breadcrumbs the sticks are coated in.
The good news is there is a wide variety of keto replacements for breadcrumbs. You could use ground pork rinds, crushed nuts, or even make your own keto breadcrumbs recipe using almond or coconut flour.
This recipe demonstrates how to make keto breadcrumbs using only five ingredients- almond flour, hemp hearts, an egg, Italian seasoning, and avocado oil.
The avocado oil should be used to coat baking trays lined with parchment paper. Meanwhile, blend all of the other ingredients together. A dough will form. Flatten the dough onto the lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown.
Allow it to cool completely and then break up the large pieces. Blend them in a blender or food processor until it reaches your desired breadcrumb-like consistency.
You can use your homemade keto breadcrumbs as a substitute for the non-keto breadcrumbs used in the homemade air fryer mozzarella sticks recipe mentioned above. They will come out just as delicious and you won’t have to worry about the extra carbs!
Mozzarella sticks are a favorite among many. Give a homemade air fryer recipe a try the next time you have a craving!
How many calories are in Mozzarella Sticks?
1 piece, 31g –> 102 calories
100 grams –> 329 calories
1 serving, 232 grams –> 764 calories