Remember the article with teasers of keto recipes to make with your air fryer? Surprise, here is the full recipes!
First up is a keto version of a classic favorite, mozzarella sticks. These sticks of cheesy goodness are so easy to make yourself, you’ll never need to buy frozen store-bought ones ever again.
The most important tip to remember is to allow them to sit in the freezer for about an hour before air frying them. This will help them solidify and not melt too fast while baking! The air fryer will help create the perfect crunchy outside and a soft and melty inside.
Keto Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
6 mozzarella string cheese sticks (they should be low moisture and part-skim)
1-2 large eggs, beaten
½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Unwrap the cheese sticks from their packaging and cut each of them in half.
- Whisk the egg in one of the bowls.
- In the other bowl, mix the parmesan cheese, almond flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and sea salt together.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This is what the mozzarella sticks will be placed on before they go into the freezer.
- One by one, dip each cheese stick in the beaten egg and then roll it in the keto breadcrumb mixture. Make sure they are completely coated.
- Coat each cheese stick in the egg and breadcrumbs a second time. It’s very important to make sure they are completely coated to ensure no cheese leaks out while they are baking!
- Place each coated stick on the lined baking sheet and then freeze them for an hour.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease your air fryer baking tray or basket with a nonstick spray. Spray each mozzarella stick, too!
- Bake for 7-10 minutes.
- Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
- Tips and Tricks: Freezing the mozzarella sticks for an hour before baking them is crucial! If you skip this step, you will have a melted cheese mess in your air fryer. You can start with beating one egg and then adding another if it runs out before you’re finished dipping the cheese sticks.
- Tools: Air fryer 2 medium-sized bowls (one for the egg wash and one for the keto breadcrumbs) Parchment paper Baking sheet