If you’ve never eaten a pierogi before, you are missing out! These pillowy-soft dumplings are a very common side dish in Central and Eastern Europe and are believed to have originated in Poland.
What is a pierogi?
Pierogies are dumplings that are made of dough and traditionally stuffed with potatoes, cheese, and sauerkraut. They can be filled with many other fillings, too. You can make them from scratch if you’re feeling fancy, but it’s also possible to buy them in the frozen section at your local grocery store.
How to cook pierogies?
When cooking pierogies, it’s important to note that they must be boiled first and then fried in melted butter. Boiling them first helps to soften and cook the dough and then toasting them to a crisp in the butter adds a delightful crunch.
However, if you prefer your pierogies to be extra crunchy, you can skip the boiling step and cook them in an air fryer straightaway. Honestly, what can’t you cook in an air fryer?
An air fryer is a highly recommended appliance to use, especially if your pierogies are frozen. Any frozen brand will do, just choose your favorite.
Preheat your air fryer to 340 degrees Fahrenheit. While it is preheating, remove the frozen pierogies from their packaging and empty them into a large bowl. Pour one heaping tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and mix to coat the pierogies.
Arrange them in a single layer on a tray or in the air fryer basket. They must be just in a single layer so they don’t stick to one another. Bake the pierogies for 5 minutes, remove from the air fryer, shake them around to rearrange, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
If you prefer your pierogies to be extra crispy, feel free to cook them for 2 additional minutes, after the initial 10 minutes are up, at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve them while they’re hot and enjoy! The full recipe can be found below:
Frozen Pierogies in Air Fryer
An air fryer is a highly recommended appliance to use, especially if your pierogies are frozen.
• 1 package frozen pierogies
• 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 340 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the frozen pierogies from their package.
- Toss the frozen pierogies in extra virgin olive oil, enough to lightly coat them.
- Place as many into the air fryer basket or tray that will fit in a single layer.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and shake them around to rearrange.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Tips and Tricks:
• If you prefer your pierogies to be even more crispy, cook them for another 2 minutes at a higher heat, 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray them with cooking spray or coat them in more extra virgin olive oil first, though!
• Top them with any desired seasonings.
• Air fryer
• Large mixing bowl (to help coat them with olive oil)
• Plates for serving