Many people have always sought after finding a satisfying answer to the questioned stated above. When it comes to questions about kitchen appliances, aluminum foil seems to be a frequently asked one.
This might be because using aluminum foil in the microwave comes with strict restrictions, and an individual may begin to think that the restrictions also apply to other appliances/devices like an air fryer.
You can use aluminum foil for several things. For example, it can be used to wrap trays, racks, foods, or lining baskets. It is a great heat conductor, and it will collect crumbs and grease, making clean-up a breeze. This explains why users want to make use of aluminum foil with air fryers. But does it work that way? Let us see.
You can decide to use aluminum foil in an air fryer as far as you ensure that the weight of the food holds it down so that it won’t be blown into the fan or heating element, which could potentially result in a fire outbreak.
Plus, the aluminum foil must not cover the fan of the air fryer, stopping it from circulating air well as that will see your air fryer become useless. Apart from that, you can use aluminum foil in an air fryer just the way you make use of it in a convection oven.
Since an air fryer needs to circulate hot air to cook your food, you should not block the hot air from freely flowing around the air fryer because if you do so, your food will cook slower, and it will be less even. If the liner does not allow the air fryer to completely circulate air, then it means that you have stopped the primary function of the air fryer.
Because the fans and heating coils of most air fryers are installed above the cavity, which is where the basket is placed, it is safer for you as far as you use aluminum foil to line only the foods placed inside the basket or the basket itself.
An additional bonus is that all liquid, such as marinade or oil, that spills in the process of cooking the food will be gathered on the foil that is at the basket’s base. This makes the air fryer easier to clean after use. Making a mess inside an air fryer is not hard due to the basket’s mesh-like design.
It is designed to make the circulation of heated air simple, but much residue, spices, crumbs, and liquids will fall through and be accumulate at the bottom. But, the use of aluminum foil can help to counteract this.
How to make use of aluminum foil in your air fryer
As we have seen the usefulness of aluminum foil, let us now discuss how you should make use of it in an air fryer to fully enjoy it and to ensure that it does not cause any harm to the device or to the chef making use of it.
Before we proceed, we would like to remind you of the importance of going through the user manual. There is where you will find more reliable information about your air fryer. Let us now list out how to use aluminum foil in an air fryer.
- Make sure that nothing is covered outside of the basket, even if you are tempted to place the aluminum foil under the basket to gather food particles and grease.
- Do not use aluminum foil to cover the whole basket because if you cover the whole holes of the basket, air will not flow properly.
- Cover only a portion of the basket. You should also ensure that the whole edges of the aluminum foil are contained in the basket so that small parts will not end up in the heating coil or in the fan.
- Ensure that the aluminum cover has enough weight on it so that it will not blow away once you power the air fryer.
- Ensure that the foods have sufficient space in the basket of the air fryer. Do not force ingredients to enter the basket because doing so will restrict a sufficient supply of hot air.
- Foods can be wrapped in aluminum foil when you are using an air fryer for cooking them. You can also decide to use it as a liner in the air fryer’s basket.
- You may poke holes in the foil to allow the proper flow of air. But, don’t do it if you are cooking with a liquid batter. This is optional.
Air fryers are multipurpose tools that you can use with several kinds of foods. Anytime you want to experiment with other materials in your air fryer, ensure that you are cautious of the potential risks. It is safe to use aluminum foil, silicone, and tin foil, as far as you do the appropriate things.