Have you ever had a warm, crispy Lumpia fresh out of the deep fryer? They are irresistible! As delicious as a hot fried Lumpia may be, they aren’t always the healthiest food choice. Deep fried foods are never very nutritious. That is why we set out to make a better, healthier Lumpia recipe. All you need to do is use the air fryer!
What is Lumpia?
Lumpia is the Filipino version of a spring roll. Pork, shrimp and veggies are folded into a thin spring roll wrapper. The small rolls are then fried until crispy. Lumpia is usually eaten as an appetizer but they are tasty enough to be a main course.
What is Inside Lumpia?
The filling of a Lumpia can vary. The little crispy rolls usually have a meat and veggie filling. The meat can be anything from pork to lamb to turkey. For our air fryer Lumpia, we use ground pork to make the filling.
The Lumpia filling is seasoned with Asian-inspired ingredients. Soy sauce, ginger and garlic add a lot of flavor to the filling. The soft filling cooks inside the crispy wrapper while the Lumpia is being fried.
How do I Make Lumpia?
Making Lumpia is actually very easy, especially if you use the air fryer. You begin by mixing the filling together. Use your hands to blend the ingredients well.
Once the filling is mixed, lay the spring roll wrappers out on a clean work surface. Scoop a little filling into the center of each wrapper. Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper over the filling and tuck it under the filling. Fold the two side corners inward and then roll the Lumpia to enclose it completely. Wrapping a Lumpia is much like wrapping a burrito!
Once all of your Lumpia are rolled, it is time to cook them! Most recipes will as you to deep fry your Lumpia but we far prefer air fryer Lumpia. The Lumpia will be crispy and ready to eat in just 10 minutes!
Lumpia in the Air Fryer
Why should you make Lumpia in the air fryer? The air fryer uses a lot less oil to make a crispy Lumpia. You only need a fine mist of avocado oil to make perfectly crispy Lumpia. A deep fryer uses multiple cups of oil to cook Lumpia, This oil gets absorbed into the spring roll wrapper and then consumed by you. A diet high in oil can lead to high cholesterol and other health issues.
Air fryer Lumpia is also easier to make and clean up. The air fryer is much easier to clean than a deep fryer!
It is very quick to make air fryer Lumpia. The little rolls cook to golden perfection in just a few minutes. This is great if you need a Lumpia fix right away!
Give our air fryer lumpia recipe a try. You will never want to deep fry Lumpia ever again! Enjoy!
Air Fryer Lumpia
• 50 Lumpia wrappers (spring roll wrappers)
• 2 pounds ground pork
• ¼ cup chopped water chestnuts
• ¼ cup minced onions
• 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
• 5 tsp minced garlic
• 2 tsp fresh minced ginger
• 3 Tbsp soy sauce
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp ground black pepper
• 2 eggs
• Avocado oil cooking spray
- Place the pork, water chestnuts, onions, cabbage, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients together using your hands. Blend well.
- Place a few of the Lumpia wrappers on your work surface and scoop about 3 tablespoons of filling into the center of each wrapper.
- Pull the bottom corner of the wrapper over the filling. Pull the two side corners into the center. Roll the Lumpia upward to enclose the filling completely. The ends should be tucked inward and the filling should be completely inside the wrapper (roll the Lumpia like you would roll a burrito).
- Once all of the Lumpia are stuffed and rolled, lay them in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your basket, you may need to cook the Lumpia in batches. You want them to be in a single layer so the hot air of the air fryer can crisp them evenly.
- Gently mist the Lumpia with the avocado oil spray.
- Bake the Lumpia in the air fryer at 390 degrees F for 4 minutes. Remove the basket, flip the Lumpia and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the golden brown Lumpia with your favorite sweet and sour dipping sauce and enjoy while warm.
- Tips and Tricks
• Use ground sausage, ground beef or ground turkey in place of the ground pork. Each will give the Lumpia it’s own, distinct flavor.
• Bake the Lumpia completely, let them cool and then freeze them. Reheat the Lumpia in the air fryer anytime you need a quick snack.